- Aspiring ghostwriters
- Working ghostwriters who want to up their game and increase their income
- Authors, writers and freelancers who want to make more money
Professional Designation Program
The Ghostwriting Professional Designation Program (GPDP) at California State University, Long Beach is the only all-inclusive, online ghostwriter training course in the world.
The GPDP will teach you what a ghostwriting job is—how to do the job, successfully complete it, and use it to attract new clients. The GPDP is an intense, 13-month, online program that covers every aspect of this work, including how to command $35,000 or more per gig while making your clients happy and producing marketable literary properties.
No college degree is required for this program, but professional writing and editing experience is recommended. All certification candidates must successfully complete the Introduction to Ghostwriting course before applying for GPDP. All candidates must sign a nondisclosure agreement as part of their application.
Students who successfully complete this program are eligible to receive a Digital Badge from CSULB’s College of Professional and International Education. Each Digital Badge is embedded with a link to secure and specific information confirming that the participant has obtained the necessary skills and competencies as described in the program. The badge also includes the participant’s name, the course title, and date of completion. Badges are shareable and can be uploaded to CVs, resumes, social media profiles, or other digital platforms. Click here to learn more about Digital Badges.
- Program earned the 2018 Outstanding Non-Credit Program Award from the University
- Professional Continuing Education Association (UPCEA) West Region
- Small online classes with multiple instructors
- Personalized feedback and individual help whenever you need it
- Weekly, 90-minute Q&A/demonstrations that you participate in from home
- Ghostwriting theory, including scope, limitations, and responsibilities
- Ghostwriting Psychology 101 and the five Rules of Ghostwriting
- Industry realities including good manuscripts vs. marketable literary properties
- The publishing sequence, industry supply chain, and market vs. booksellers vs. audience
- Skill sets including how to decode/code manuscripts to industry standards
- Different processes for nonfiction/memoir, fiction, creation/editing, and book marketing
- Creative analysis of manuscripts, editorial expertise, and industry authority to close deals
- Unique tools including charts, plot maps, workarounds, character studies, strategic plans, A&R project bids, and equitable contracts
- Business professionalism, editorial authority, and entrepreneurship
Successful certification candidates must demonstrate their grasp of all program elements on two projects (nonfiction and fiction).